BUZZFEED STANDARD TEST FOR PARENTS
Earlier, before my kids asked me “What do BuzzFeed employees do all day?” I’d already answered BuzzFeed’s call for participants to retake the SATs as an adult. As was never the case in school, I immediately raised my hand, squirmed in my seat and made a case to Pick Me! Pick Me!
1) I enjoyed taking the SATs!
2) My kids & I watch at least one BuzzFeed video a day.
3) It would tweak my kids perspective of me!
I’m not looking for Cool Parent Points. My goal aims to keep the kids in line with Dazzle and Awe (Jazz Hands optional).
DAZZLE: Sometimes we parents need to reveal our “true selves” to our kids. Not the psycho I become after 10pm if they’re not asleep, but the woman whose interests extend beyond their school, sports and upbringing! They know I write, but writing is a solitary sport that occurs when they’re asleep or away.
Usually they see me erring to the conservative, strategic, rational side of responsibility. If I lead them outside the box to pursue dreams with a passion, they know I’ve got their back. Also knowing I have outside interests assures them that I won’t eventually throw myself from my empty nest.
AWE: I could barely contain my excitement but stayed strong and looked forward to the big reveal. It’s so hard to surprise my teen and tween, and they’d never considered that they’d see me from the opposite side of the flat screen! No way, not even possible!
I like my kids to remain a little afraid about my mysterious powers that achieve the impossible AND control their universes. When I say “If I get late night calls saying you’re causing trouble, I’ll immediately contact my friend the policeman/double agent/paintball hitman to forcibly remove you from your friends so quickly they’ll think you were instantly beamed into another dimension.” I want my kids to believe it could happen!
REWARD: As a single working, blogging parent, this opportunity rewarded me and restored me! Or the galaxy found a creative way to make me get a haircut and maybe try a little blush sometimes. Either way, I’m still glowing and buzzed!
FACTS ABOUT BUZZFEED YOU MAY OR MAY NOT ALREADY KNOW:
- 300 employees work just in BuzzFeed studios – where they create memorable videos
- It can take 5 rounds of interviews to get a job there – but to preserve their unique environment, it’s a necessity.
- The bar that you see in videos at their office isn’t a real functioning bar. WTF?! What, that’s fake?
- Buzzfeed’s mascot is the Corgi
- So what are BuzzFeed employees doing: For a 3:13 minute video, the shoot took about 90 min (x3 pairs). Then the employees spend the rest of the next 7 business days editing!
- They shot the video with 2 Canon DSLRs
- Instead of a clapboard, they really clap to start a scene
#BUZZFEED #BUZZFEEDLIFE #BUZZFEEDPARENTS
OMG! I NEED TO FIND SAT questions and quiz my fiance tonight!! He and I did trivia last night and I am a flaming idiot! I know nothing!
I highly doubt you are a flaming idiot! We all have our strengths and weaknesses! Mine are just backwards from my passions!
Hilarious! and scary at the same time. I wouldn’t even know where to start after all these years.
I’ll admit that I had a mild panic attack after seeing the size of the SAT books and the length of the reading comprehension part – I can’t handle more than 140 characters at a time any more! Thank you for wandering by!
I am definitely a buzzfeed fan! Surprisingly, I also enjoyed my SATs! What would you want to do for your buzzfeed video? Thanks for wandering by!
I admit I never took the SATS. Very funny, I loved it. lol@jazz hands. I think the Buzzfeed thing is very cool. We have to relate to them right?